Photo credit: DAVID ILIFF. License: CC BY-SA 3.0
In partnership with Canterbury Christ Church University, the Illinois Consortium for International Studies and Programs (ICISP) offers a semester in Canterbury, England. This program offers students an exciting and affordable introduction to Britain.
The students will have the opportunity to travel through time as they explore the social, political and historical aspects of British culture. They can relive the Norman Conquest, see where Thomas Becket was murdered, and walk along the ancient Roman wall. There are opportunities to visit the Tower of London, the Globe Theatre, Track 9 ¾ at King’s Cross Station,Westminster Abbey, Stonehenge, and other historical and cultural landmarks.
Canterbury Christ Church University (CCCU), a medium-sized college with 18,000 students, is located near the medieval city wall and a few blocks away from the well-known Canterbury Cathedral.
Although the University was founded as a Church of England college, it is now a secular, public university which has been awarded TEF Silver designation, which is given to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching and consistently exceed the “rigorous national quality requirements” for higher education in the UK.
ICISP students are treated as full-time students by CCCU and take 2 classes with their study abroad cohort as well as 2 classes with British students. This mix ensures that students are supported in their time abroad but also exposed to the British educational system.
Canterbury is a busy college town in the middle of Kent county, which is considered the Garden of England. Although the town is surrounded by lovely English countryside, Canterbury has easy access to London (1 hour) and Paris (2 hours).
Students will receive up to 12 transferable college credits in the semester programs.
Required classes (semester program):
- British Politics and Society (3)
- Survey of British History (3)
- 2 elective courses (6)
Students may select electives from an approved list, primarily composed of humanities and social sciences courses.
- Instructional costs
- Homestay included in the base price. Two dorm options are now available for an additional fee.
- Breakfast daily with Homestay
- Course-related field trips
- Noon and evening meals
- Refundable Library Deposit (campus & town)
- Personal expenses
- Home institution tuition and fees, if applicable
Lodging and Meals:
Students have the option of staying either in a homestay or in a student dorm. See video of Parham Student VIllage in Canterbury.
- The homestay provides students with wonderful opportunities to gain firsthand experience with British culture, as they will be interacting with a British family on a daily basis. Breakfast will be provided for the student by the homestay family but students will have kitchen access for the rest of their meals. Homestay housing is included in the base price.
- Dorm options are available for additional cost and include the choice of private bathroom or shared bathroom. All dorms will have free wifi and private bedrooms as well as shared kitchens. Meals not included with any of the dorm options. There is a cafeteria on campus from which the students are able to purchase meals, or there are three grocery stores nearby for shopping.
May 15, 2022 is the application deadline for the Fall 2022 term. October 15, 2022 is the application deadline for the Spring 2023 term.
Study Abroad in Canterbury at CCCU-See what’s New as of 2021.
Canterbury 22-23 Program Summary
How to Apply:
To apply, please contact the ICISP representative at your home institution for an application. Click here for a list of all ICISP representatives.
As the world continues to navigate the challenges of COVID-19, we want to reassure you that ICISP is closely monitoring developments surrounding COVID-19. All decisions on program are made with a high priority on the health, safety, and security of students. For the most current updates on vaccination and testing requirements please review the following:
- US Embassy in United Kingdom: https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/
- Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines.html
ICISP Study Abroad Video Contest
Click here for details.